Watch & Ward
Watch & Ward Department came into existence in the year 1982. As an integrated part of Land & Estate Department. With the city growing and additional work load increasing Watch & Ward Department roll widened and additional responsibilities were allotted for this reason in the year 1987 Watch & Ward Department was given a separate identity and a stand above department was created under administrative functioning under the control of the Surat Municipal Corporation. Watch & Ward Department provides continuous and unbroken vigilance for all Municipal Corporations' properties.
Department Functions and Duties
- Carrying out vigilance and providing Safety and Security by Day and Night to all Municipal Officers, Employees and Properties.
To provide Safety and Security to all SMC Employees during:
- Demolitions of illegal constructions.
- Encroachment by hawkers on roads.
- Collection of taxes.
- Providing Safety and Security in collaboration with Police Department during VVIP visits and functions.
- Standby duties during religious festivals and public programs.
- Controlling of crowd and creating a safe passage for emergency vehicles in case of fire and when any building has collapsed.
Standby duties during:
- Ceremonial meetings and ceremonies.
- Statutory Committee meetings.
- General Board meetings.
- Inaugural functions.
- Provide armed guard.
- Emergency Response Teams During Natural Disasters.